Information and Communication Technology for Education (ICT4E) How-To Note
This How-To Note, created by USAID’s Bureau for Economic Growth, Environment and Education’s Office of Education (E3/ED), assists USAID education staff and implementing partners with information and communication technology for education (ICT4E) integration. It offers guidance for addressing this cross-cutting area across USAID Education Policy priorities; it applies to education programming across all levels (from pre-primary through higher education), contexts (stable contexts to crisis and conflict-affected environments), settings (formal and non-formal), and providers (state and non-state).
- Section 1 explains the purpose and use of this How-To Note.
- Section 2 provides a short introduction to why we are excited by ICT4E and a quick digest of key resources, applications, and initiatives highlighted throughout the paper.
- Section 3 provides background context to USAID’s historical and current ICT4E investments.
- Section 4 provides key definitions of terminology frequently used to discuss ICT4E.
- Section 5 presents the 10 key principles to which USAID adheres when conceptualizing, designing, and implementing ICT in education systems.
- Section 6 provides a condensed description of the growing body of evidence for ICT4E around the world and provides useful sites and resources as reference.
- Section 7 offers an extended examination of the opportunities for technology to support challenges within the education system and resources to help education staff and implementing partners understand and clearly communicate the case for integrating ICT approaches into associated education activities.
- Section 8 contains a matrix that education staff and implementing partners can use to integrate ICT at various stages of the USAID Program Cycle. It begins with country strategic planning and moves into project and activity planning, design, and implementation phases. The matrix also contains guidance for ensuring that monitoring, evaluation, and learning capture how interventions are performing according to established goals and targets for ICT usage.
- Section 9 contains a listing of supplementary resources that will be useful to USAID education staff and implementing partners for ICT integration at all stages of the Program Cycle.