Effective Teaching and Review of Educational Policies in 11 Sub-Saharan African Countries
In light of the four constraints (i.e., finances, data, implementation, and system design) noted above, this report concludes with several policy recommendations that could lead towards establishing the facilitating conditions necessary for the enhancement of instructional practices in sub-Saharan African classrooms.
- Establish baseline practices of quality teaching and desired instructional behavior;
- Devise measures of, and start collecting data on, the processes of teaching;
- Reconfigure the school day to allow time and space for teachers to work differently;
- Allow experimentation with alternative remuneration schemes; and
- Encourage risk-taking behavior among teaching staff.