Deaf World Around You
USABILITY/STATUS: In Use
INNOVATOR: Rochester Institute of Technology/National Technical Institute for the Deaf
GEOGRAPHIC FOCUS: Global
SOLUTION TYPE: Digital Library
A multilingual platform created by Rochester Institute of Technology’s National Technical Institute for the Deaf with funding awarded through the All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development (ACR GCD) Sign on For Literacy Prize.
- Operating system: Web-based, Windows
- Hardware: Tablet, smartphone, computer
- Connectivity: Online
- Accessibility features: Content filtering, distraction reduction, export to other platforms, sign language storybooks, videos
- Accessories needed for use: Charger/solar charger, HDMI connector cable, speakers, headphones
- How to use to support learning: In their Begin with Books project, RIT/NTID used WAY to disseminate hundreds of sign language storybooks available to support reading for children who are deaf and hard of hearing in the Philippines, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Somalia, Samoa, and Indonesia. They also shared the books via Facebook and local social media platforms to support widespread use.
- Costs: The platform and books are free to use.
- Other Cost Considerations: New book creation, with sign language videos, costs anywhere from $500 - $1500 per book depending on existing equipment for filming sign language videos, authors, illustrators, editors, content workshop costs, etc.
- Settings: Home, school, community
- Target Populations: Children who are deaf or hard of hearing, teachers, parents, disabled persons organizations, community program staff
- Current Language(s): Multiple sign languages; translations in English
- Geography (locations): Global
Research & Case Studies
- Project Tree in the Philippines, Fiji, and Papua New Guinea produced Sign Language Rhythm and Rhyme (SLRR), an innovative way to play with language visually, and Shared Multilingual Reading Strategies (SMRS), a set of best-practice interactive reading, materials for deaf children and their families. Newly produced pre-primary level books will be used from the WAY platform for the project.
Blogs & reviews
- ACR GCD-funded sign language storybook platform receives Zero Project award for improving accessibility - All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development
- Six innovators discuss challenges and insights around implementing EdTech solutions to increase reading outcomes for hard-to-reach learners
- Sign On For Literacy winners advance inclusive education for deaf children around the globe
- Nothing about us without us: Building capacity and sustainability in blind and deaf communities worldwide - All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development
- What works and doesn't work to improve access, equity and inclusion for the 584 million children globally waiting to learn to read - All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development
- Shifting perspectives on using communication devices as learning tools can increase access to education and support learning in low-resource contexts - All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development
- Nine global EdTech solutions to support out-of-school children during the Coronavirus outbreak - All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development
Related Training Materials, Toolkits & Resources
- Rochester Institute of Technology - Ready2Read Challenge Awardee
- Standards for Sign Language Storybooks
- Create a World of Deaf Readers: Standards for Sign Language Storybooks
- Standards for Sign Language Storybooks – on demand YouTube lessons
- Signed Reference Guide – World Around You (WAY) platform
- Signed Reference Guide – on YouTube
- SLRR Videos
- SRS Videos