Global Book Alliance Launches
This year, International Mother Language Day also marked the launch of the Global Book Alliance, a partnership of donor agencies, multilateral institutions, and civil society organizations that are committed to bringing books to every child in the world by 2030.
The Alliance seeks to improve that book chain from the ground up, rebuilding and reinforcing links across the board. Alliance members will:
- Improve book development by fostering the creation of new book titles in neglected languages
- Provide access in many formats, licensed for translation, and readable by children with varying abilities
- Improve supply chains to reduce loss and waste
- Coordinate procurement to increase efficiency and target books to those who need them most
- Ensure that teachers, families, and community members have the tools they need to use books to promote learning
The Global Book Alliance’s Strategy lays out a vision of a world in which all children are achieving literacy and have access to quality books that they can use to learn to read, read to learn and develop a love of reading.